We have this thing with “fasting” all wrong. We use it as a weapon to “get God to do something”. That is not the purpose or the reason that we fast. Fasting is a method we use certainly to get God’s attention but there are certain things that we must do and observe which at present we fail to do. Do we believe what the Word tells us is the inspired word from God? If so then we must follow the directions according to Isaiah 58:6-9.
We should fast when directed so by the Spirit of God, for a specific purpose as Jesus told us in the gospels when he was correcting the disciples for attempting to cast out devils (Matthew 17:19-21). In many countries we see today that fasting is carried over from before we were Christians, thus it is very ineffective and often produces little results if any at all.
I have prepared a check list of reasons why we are to fast. I believe that once we do this and follow this example we will begin as Isaiah 58 teaches see great results. See, right now all it amounts to is that we are missing meals, not real fasting.
1. To loose the bonds of wickedness
2. To undo heavy burdens
3. Let the oppressed go free
4. Break every yoke
If we will do these things and follow this checklist then we will see great miracles take place. The follow is a checklist of what we should do with our meals when we fast.
1. Share our bread with the hungry
2. Bring in to our homes those who are cast out
3. Clothe the naked
4. Not hide our own flesh
Now this is the part that we are missing out on. When we follow this prescription of proper fasting, look at the benefits that are to follow:
1. Your light shall spring forth like toe morning
2. Your healing shall spring forth speedily
3. Your righteousness shall go before you
4. The glory of the Lord shall be your rear guard
5. You shall call and He will answer
6. You shall cry and he will say “here I am”.
Do you now see what we are missing out on? Let’s give up that old time religion and start doing things God’s way.